Hackensack University Medical Center Hackensack, New Jersey
Hackensack University Medical Center is a team committed to providing an exceptional patient experience through quality patient-centered care, education, research, and community outreach.
Hackensack University Medical Center is New Jersey’s largest provider of inpatient and outpatient services, home to some of the healthcare industry’s most talented, compassionate and dedicated professionals. Our commitment to excellence is exemplified by all of our colleagues, and their efforts have earned the medical center numerous national accolades.
We know that qualified applicants are in high demand and we appreciate that you are considering HackensackUMC as a place to bring your professional talent.
Job Summary and Responsibilities: The Nurse Epidemiologist monitors infection control practices for all patients (involving all age groups) and personnel in the hospital. This position implements current standards and outcomes of Infection Control practices and standards of regulatory agencies.
- Maintains trends of healthcare acquired infections and identifies potential and actual outbreaks.
- Reads and interprets lab data and medical records.
- Conducts formal and informal educational programs regarding infection control practices, policies, and procedures.
- Conducts prevalence and sampling studies to determine specified rates of infection as indicated.
- Participates in rounds to in-patient and outpatient areas to obtain information about possible healthcare acquired infections using standard criteria.
- Prepares monthly statistics for incidence, attack rate and predisposing microorganisms in healthcare acquired infections in designated areas.
- Prepares and distributes targeted surgical site infection reports to individual surgeons and chiefs of each surgical specialty.
- Informs designated nursing units of health infection statistics monthly.
- Participates in the investigation and implementation of control measures for outbreaks.
- Records and reports on communicable diseases to local and state health departments as required.
- Reviews aseptic procedures and techniques, identifies necessary changes, and monitors and reinforces hand hygiene compliance with employees.
- Assists in the development and review of infection control policies and procedures.
- Conducts environmental surveillance as indicated.
- Monitors construction projects throughout the medical center for compliance with protective barriers.
- Develops performance improvement indicators to ensure positive patient outcomes.
- May be required to work weekends and/or second shift based on department needs.
- Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.). This process includes communicating with the patient, parent, and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
- Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center’s Organizational Competencies.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Graduate of a NLN/AACN accredited program in nursing.
- Proficient in computer skills.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- NJ State Professional Registered Nurse License.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
- At least 1 year experience in Infection Control.
- Completion of APIC Basic Infection Control Course.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
- Certified in Infection Control
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Please apply online.